Brussels to Bruges via Ghent (Bike and Barge)
Bike and Barge | 8 days | 7 nights | From £909 per person
Full holiday prices by date are shown on the ‘Book Now’ tab.
• See Flanders from a unique perspective
• Visit the famous cities of Bruges, Brussels, Gent and Antwerp
• Stay aboard the MS Quo Vadis and MS Magnifique
• Combine cycling with river cruising
These tours can be managed from everyone who is in normal shape. You cycle most of the time on asphalted cycle paths, side roads with less traffic, but also on field and forest paths. Only short parts are on main roads.
The approximate difficulty level for this tour
1st Day: Saturday – Individual arrival at Brussels
You will find MS QUO VADIS in the port of Brussels and the crew welcomes you on board. Take some time to wander around the old town that is worth seeing, having a look at the Gothic town hall, the beautiful guild houses, the big market and the “Männeken Pis”.
2nd Day: Sunday – Shipping from Brussels to Vilvoorde – Cycling from Vilvoorde over Mechelen to Willebroek, Cycle tour: approx. 40 km
While you are having your breakfast, MS QUO VADIS is shipping to Vilvoorde. From here you start your first cycle tour that leads you to Mechelen – here you will find the remarkable density of more than 300 listed buildings (classified as historical monuments), among them eight churches, all built within an area of only three square kilometres. While your ship is going through the Willebroek-Channel, you are cycling through green, soft and hilly landscapes, passing sleepy villages and magnificent country estates until you finally reach Willebroek.
3rd Day: Monday – Cycling from Willebroek to Antwerpen, Cycle tour: approx. 45 km
From Willebroek you are cycling over Lier to Antwerpen, the world’s centre of diamond-processing and your today’s destination. Ant-werpen offers a number of interesting sights such as the richly decorated town hall in renaissance style, the historic Grote Markt, the huge Liebfrauen Cathedral und the medieval Steen Castle.
4th Day: Tuesday – Cycling from Antwerpen to Dendermonde, Cycle tour: approx. 50 km
Today, your tour leads you up the river Schelde to Hemiksen, and after having cycled a bit upward you are comfortably going to Rupelmonde. At this point, where the river Rupel flows into the river Schelde, you follow the river until you will reach the historic area of brick burning, where bricks have been produced since the Middle Ages until today. You will then cross the Brussels-Rupel-Channel and arrive at Sint Amands. Cycling along the River Schelde you will finally reach Dendermonde. There a must is a coffee break at the wonderful Flemish market-place “Grote Markt”.
5th Day: Wednesday – Cycling from Dendermonde to Gent, Cycle tour: approx. 48 km
You are cycling from Dendermonde to Gent where MS QUO VADIS is already waiting for you. Discover partly cycling and walking the wonderful old town of Gent. In the Middle Ages Gent was the second largest city after Paris and has preserved its architectural wealth in the historic city centre until today.
6th Day: Thursday – Cycling from Gent over Vinderhoute to Bruges, Cycle tour: approx. 40 km
In the morning you are leaving for Vinderhoute. The whole cycle route follows the Gent-Oostende-Channel through the wide Flemish plain until you arrive at Bruges “The Venice of the North” is widely known in Europe for its art and museums. Bruges’ old town with its number of Grachten (small channels) belongs to the UNESCO world’s cultural heritage. Enjoy the bustle activity around the Grote Markt (the big market place) while having a nice tea or coffee.
7th Day: Friday – Trip around Bruges to the North Sea – Cycle tour approx. 55 km
Your last cycle tour will take you at the beginning over Damme, Till Eulenspiegel’s place of birth to the seaside resort of Blankenberge. Sandy beaches and a lot of cafés (you have the opportunity to swim in the sea there) will give you the opportunity for a nice rest. After approx. 2 hours you are cycling back to Bruges.
8th Day: Saturday – Bruges
After breakfast you are checking out and we are saying goodbye – have a safe journey home.
Basically, we reserve the right to make changes of routing and programme. If there is low or high water and a route cannot be shipped, the captain reserves the right to change the route in view of your safety (this cannot be accepted as a reason for free withdrawal).
These tours can be managed from everyone who is in normal shape. You cycle most of the time on asphalted cycle paths, side roads with less traffic, but also on field and forest paths. Only short parts are on main roads. If you do not want to cycle you can also stay on board or make a shorter bike tour.
Where is the starting point of the holiday?
Tour Route Map
About the MS Quo Vadis
Comfortable and cosy river boat with feel good factor – the boat was built in April 2006 and offers 12 comfortable cabins (approx. 9 sqm) with own shower/toilet, hair dryer, safe, two beds and air-condition/heating (windows cannot be opened).
A stylish saloon with lounge, a restaurant, a small bar and a sun deck with awning complete the offer. Interesting bike tour and cordially hospitality are awaiting you. Captain Rendert Jan and his crew are looking forward to you getting on-board!
Your tasty dinner will be freshly prepared daily (organic food are generally used, and often freshly homemade bread is served).
Technical details: length 45 m, breadth 6,60 m, height: 5,50 m, draft 1,50 m. Crew of approx. 4 persons.
• Your journey to Brussels and from Bruges will be individual.
• The interior of the ship is a non-smoking zone: smoking is only allowed on the sun deck. As a safety measure, a statutory smoking ban applies in all cabins; this means that all cabins and rooms on board are non-smoking areas.
• Embarkation: from 15:00 hours to 17:00 hours
• Disembarkation: After breakfast by 09:30 Uhr.
• Bicycles on board: Unisex trekking bicycles with normal mount (ladies model), 7 gears, hand brake and pedal brake and pannier bag. E-Bikes with pedal brake are on these tours only available after prior request (by booking) and confirmation and a very limited number (5) possible. Due to lack of space on deck only two own bikes can be transported per departure. Please indicate your body height by booking.
• Cycle tours: All distances are “approximate distances” of recommended bike tours. When a guest does not want to cycle one day, she/he can skip the bike tour and relax on board while cruising to the next harbour. The bike tours are guided or individual, at your own pace, without a tour guide, but with detailed bicycle maps and directions. You can choose. Nearly all cycle tours can be classified as being easy.
• Luggage: we recommend: rainwear, bicycle helmet, sunhat and sneakers.
• Diet: (i.e.: lactosefree, glutenfree) possible on request and for an extra charge. Must be booked at least 14 days prior to departure.
• Travel documents: EU-nationals need a valid passport.
- Seven nights in outside cabins with shower/WC in the booked cabin category
– Programme according to the routing on MS QUO VADIS
– Welcome cocktail
– Room cleaning every day
– Changing of towels and bed cloths if wanted
– Full board consisting of breakfast buffet, lunch or lunch package for cycle tours, coffee or tea in the afternoon, dinner
– All charges for harbours, bridges and locks
– Printed instructions and detailed maps for daily individual bike tours (1 per cabin)
– Cycle guide with local knowledge, guides cycle tours
– Languages on board: German, English
Brussels to Bruges (Bike and Barge)
8 days, 7 nights
Prices shown are per person and include the use of a modern 7-speed roadster bike as well as full board accommodation.
Minimum number required: 24 participants
Departure Dates: Departs on Saturdays
Ship: MS Quo Vadis
13th May to 20th May 2017
27th May to 3rd June 2017
10th June to 17th June 2017
24th June to 1st July 2017
8th July to 15th July 2017
22nd July to 29th July 2017
5th August to 12th August 2017
19th August to 26th August 2017
2nd September to 9th September 2017
MS Quo Vadis: Prices per person including bike hire
Twin bed cabin on main deck: £909
Single cabin on main deck (limited number): £1329
E-Bike (Payable locally): £89
Any local tourist taxes are not included in the holiday price and are payable at the hotel.
This tour benefits from bike insurance against rental bike theft and damage in the holiday price! Please make sure you lock up the bike, leave it where told by the hotel and treat your hire bicycle as if the bike was your own. Any negligent treatment of the bike will exempt you from cover.
Holiday Price: £909
Single Supplement: From £429